Today I was in the second grade classroom and we were honored by the U.S. Navy Band, who played Christmas songs for the school. It was a great performance and the kids and faculty seemed to really enjoy it...especially the music teacher...go figure. As I was watching the band I scanned the room to look at all the teachers and I noticed that in the school there is not one male teacher who works there.
If that's not women in the workforce I don't know what is.
I asked the teacher I was working with what the deal was with that ans she said yeah, within the entire school there isn't one male teacher; and she went on to tell me within the district there are only about 3 or 4 male teachers. That was unbelievable to me.
Now I understand men are less likely to teach elementary school just because that is usually covered by the women, mainly because we have more patience. However, I do see some problems with not having any men around. Not because they are nice to look at but if an elementary school only has women teachers...who are the boys supposed to look up to? Boys that might not have fathers in the home need a male role model and if they are not present in early ages of development then a gap is created. If the boy finally gets a male teacher in middle school all is not lost but it makes it difficult to take direction from a male.
I am all for women being in the workforce I think it's great, it really shows men whose boss...just a little humor. But I also think it appropriate to say that men need to man up and get in the elementary schools...the kids
need you!
If that's not women in the workforce I don't know what is.
I asked the teacher I was working with what the deal was with that ans she said yeah, within the entire school there isn't one male teacher; and she went on to tell me within the district there are only about 3 or 4 male teachers. That was unbelievable to me.
Now I understand men are less likely to teach elementary school just because that is usually covered by the women, mainly because we have more patience. However, I do see some problems with not having any men around. Not because they are nice to look at but if an elementary school only has women teachers...who are the boys supposed to look up to? Boys that might not have fathers in the home need a male role model and if they are not present in early ages of development then a gap is created. If the boy finally gets a male teacher in middle school all is not lost but it makes it difficult to take direction from a male.
I am all for women being in the workforce I think it's great, it really shows men whose boss...just a little humor. But I also think it appropriate to say that men need to man up and get in the elementary schools...the kids

No comments:
Post a Comment