Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Regarding the Holiday



Since it is almost Halloween I have some comments on schools and this wonderful holiday.

Now I am not quite sure about this but I know in recent years schools have discouraged wearing costumes during school because of violence and all those other reasons why kids cant have fun. Now I am not talking about middle schoolers, and high schoolers, I am talking just elementary. I totally understand the reasoning for why middle schoolers are not allowed to wear costumes.

BUT... how come elementary schoolers are discouraged? I think wearing costumes in elementary school is a great idea, it lets kids know that adults are excited about the day too, and want to encourage the holiday. When I was in elementary school Halloween was a blast; we got extra credit for wearing our costumes and we got to have a party in the classroom, sometimes with the other classes too. We used to play games, and parents would come in for some arts and crafts. Now I know that parents are sometimes too busy for this involvement in the kid's school during the day, but I know it was always great to have a fun day for such a fun holiday. It let students break loose for a little while and relax from school stress and routine.

Also to back up my reasoning I believe that Halloween allows the child to show their extreme individuality and be who they want for a day, without having to worry about being ridiculed. I think it's great to celebrate Halloween and I think it needs to be in the schools more, and why shouldn't it be, this way teachers dont have to worry about teaching about religious issues like Christmas and Hanukah.

No comments:

Post a Comment