Thursday, September 24, 2009

Are the rumors really true?

In addition to my Tolman visit while I was there I was talking to some other faculty and they informed me that expulsion is no more. Is this really true? Because if it is Rhode Island you made a very dumb mistake. If your going to honestly tell me that they got rid of expelling kids in Rhode Island then I will absolutely never teach in this state. I'm not saying that expulsion is the answer for everything but I am saying that it does work sometimes. The faculty was telling me that if a kid brings a weapon to school (which apparently isn't unlikely in Tolman, in fact it's very common) they are not expelled just suspended for 10 days.

Alright I'm going to pretend to be a student at Tolman for a second. If I was a student and you told me that a kid brought a weapon to school say a knife and all he/she got was suspended then you basically telling me that if a kid pisses me off that I can bring a weapon to school and take care of it, and I don't have to worry because all I'm going to get is suspended for 10 days.

Now switch roles and now I'm going to pretend to be a parent. So my kid comes home telling me (possibly with a news letter) that a kid brought a weapon to school and they were suspended for 10 days and now they are allowed back in the school, as a parent do you know what I would say? This is what I would say...."GET MY KID OUT OF THAT SCHOOL AND GET SOME NEW ADMINISTRATORS BECAUSE THAT IS BULLSHIT" Kids are NOT allowed to bring weapons to school period, and by not expelling them for doing so is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. By not expelling kids your telling them to bring weapons and your asking for another Columbine. And God forbid that ever happens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment